The 19-year-old, who made turned the youngest Indian to make a century on debut after hitting 134 towards the West Indies in October 2018, was discovered to have “inadvertently ingested a prohibited substance, which might generally be present in cough syrups.”
The batsman has been banned for eight months by India’s Board of Management for Cricket (BCCI) — backdated to March 16. He will likely be free to renew enjoying from November 15, 2019.
Shaw is the fourth youngest participant within the historical past of cricket to hit a debut century, and likewise turned the second youngest Indian participant to attain a Check match century after the legendary Sachin Tendulkar.
He supplied a urine pattern as a part of the BCCI’s anti-doping program on February 22 and examined constructive for Terbutaline whereas enjoying in a match in Indore.
“I used to be coming again off a foot harm which I suffered in the course of the India tour of Australia and I used to be returning to energetic cricket within the match,” Shaw stated.
“Nonetheless, out of my eagerness to play, I did not comply with the protocol of being cautious in consuming a primary over-the-counter cough syrup.
“I settle for my destiny with all sincerity. Whereas I’m nonetheless nursing an injuring which I suffered in my final match, this information has actually shaken me. “
As a part of the punishment, Shaw is prohibited from coaching together with his staff and isn’t allowed to make use of coaching amenities of every other membership till after midnight on September 15.