(Reuters) – Mexican drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, who rose from humble origins in a mountain village to steer the Sinaloa Cartel, one of many world’s strongest drug trafficking gangs, is predicted to be sentenced to life in a U.S. jail on Wednesday.
Guzman left a bloody path in Mexico’s drug wars whilst he turned a hometown hero whereas amassing a fortune in illicit proceeds valued by Forbes journal in 2009 at $1 billion and by U.S. prosecutors this month at $12.7 billion. He escaped twice from Mexican prisons, enhancing his “Robin Hood” fame.
Right here some key occasions in his rise and supreme downfall:
* APRIL four, 1957 (the date the U.S. authorities makes use of, although there may be some discrepancy) – Joaquin Guzman is born in La Tuna, Mexico, a village within the Sierra Madre mountains of Sinaloa state. As a teen, U.S. prosecutors have stated, he joined what was already a longtime trade there by cultivating marijuana and rising poppies for heroin manufacturing.
* 1980s – Guzman rises by means of the ranks of the unlawful drug enterprise below the tutelage of Sinaloan kingpin Miguel Angel Felix Gallardo, alias “The Boss of Bosses,” who pioneered cocaine smuggling routes into the USA. Alongside the best way, he acquires the nickname, “El Chapo,” which loosely interprets into “Shorty,” a reference to his stocky 5-foot, 6-inch (1.67-meter) body.
* 1993 – Guzman is arrested in Guatemala and extradited to Mexico two weeks after employed gunmen killed a Roman Catholic cardinal they mistook for him. He was sentenced to jail, however used his cash to make his keep extra comfy, with lovers, prostitutes and Viagra, in response to accounts revealed within the Mexican media.
* 2001 – Guzman levels his first breakout from a jail in western Mexico, purportedly in a laundry cart with the help of jail officers whom he had bribed.
* 2007 – Whereas on the unfastened, Guzman marries Emma Coronel, then an 18-year-old magnificence queen, in a village in Durango state in an ostentatious ceremony. She gave beginning to twins in a Los Angeles hospital in 2011. The 2 are nonetheless married.
* FEB. 22, 2014 – Guzman is captured with out incident in a predawn raid on a seaside condominium in Sinaloa.
* 2015 – Guzman once more escapes from a maximum-security jail, this time utilizing a tunnel greater than a mile (1.6 km) lengthy that started within the rest room in his cell.
* JAN. eight, 2016 – Mexican marines, with the assistance of the U.S. Marshals Service and brokers of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, recapture Guzman after six months on the lam in a violent standoff after an early morning raid at a roadside motel in Los Mochis, Sinaloa, that left 5 folks lifeless.
* JAN. 19, 2017 – Mexican authorities flip Guzman over to U.S. legislation enforcement brokers who carry him to New York in a small jet. A day later he seems in a U.S. courtroom in Brooklyn and pleads not responsible to 17 prison counts that he ran the world’s largest drug-trafficking group.
* NOV. 13, 2018 – Below heavy safety, and after some jurors have been excused as a result of they have been afraid, prosecutors and protection attorneys make opening statements as Guzman’s trial will get underway.
* FEB. 12 – A federal jury in Brooklyn convicts Guzman of all 10 of the drug-related expenses introduced towards him, capping an 11-week trial that heard testimony from greater than 50 prosecution witnesses.
Reporting by Peter Szekely in New York; Modifying by Scott Malone and Jonathan Oatis