(Reuters) – A Buffalo Wild Wings worker died and at the very least 10 individuals checked themselves into hospital after being uncovered to a robust chemical cleansing agent at a restaurant in Burlington, Massachusetts, authorities mentioned on Thursday.
The Burlington fireplace division responded to a chemical response within the kitchen space of the restaurant the place a male worker was affected by nausea, a hearth division consultant mentioned in a press release.
Media recognized the chemical as sodium hypochlorite, a cleansing agent.
“The worker was taken to Lahey Hospital and Medical Heart in critical situation after being uncovered to a robust cleansing agent. The person later died on the hospital,” the division mentioned.
The opposite sufferers, together with restaurant workers and patrons, complained of problem in respiration and burning eyes, the division mentioned.
“The gentleman that handed away was an worker of Buffalo Wild Wings, who tried to squeegee the product out of the constructing when he was overcome,” Assistant Burlington Fireplace Chief Michael Patterson advised reporters.
There was no risk to public security, officers mentioned.
“We…are working intently with our franchisee and the authorities whereas they conduct an investigation,” a spokesperson for Buffalo Wild Wings mentioned, however didn’t share any further particulars.
Reporting by Shubham Kalia in Bengaluru; Modifying by Robert Birsel and Arun Koyyur