The Latest: Man suing Vatican says he's fighting for truth
LOS ANGELES – The Newest on a California guy suing the Vatican for the discharge of the names of all offenders throughout the church international. (all instances native):
A California guy suing the Vatican to free up the names of all sexually abusive clergymen international says he is preventing for the reality for sufferers.
Manny Vega of Oxnard stated at a news convention Thursday that clergymen raped him and numerous different youngsters the world over, and that abuse and a tradition of secrecy are nonetheless rampant throughout the Catholic church.
Vega’s lawsuit filed Wednesday in federal court docket in California seeks to have the Vatican ordered to free up the names of all clergymen accused of abuse and to show over the names of the ones discovered responsible to legislation enforcement. It does not search financial damages.
Jeffrey Lena, the Vatican’s U.S. legal professional, declined to remark.
Vega reached a agreement with the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in 2007, however his lawsuit says that does not free up the Vatican from accountability. One in every of his legal professionals has attempted unsuccessfully to sue the federal government of the Catholic Church in U.S. courts ahead of.
A California guy who says he was once sexually abused a long time in the past by way of a clergyman over a five-year duration is suing the Vatican.
Even supposing the lawsuit says the person reached a agreement with the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in 2007, his lawyers stated Thursday that does not free up the Vatican from accountability.
The lawsuit filed Wednesday accuses the Vatican of striking the Rev. Fidencio Silva-Flores ready of energy at Our Girl of Guadalupe Church within the southern California coastal town of Oxnard and says it will have to have identified he posed a threat to youngsters.
The lawsuit says Silva-Flores sexually abused the plaintiff between 1979 and 1984. Silva-Flores was once charged with 25 counts of molestation in 2003 however they had been dropped.
Jeffrey Lena, the Vatican’s U.S. legal professional, declined remark.